IMPORTING FROM GERMANY
Germany is the 3rd largest export economy in the world.
|In 2015, Germany imported:||$1.13 trillion of goods|
|In 2015, Germany exported:||$1.41 trillion of goods|
Importing Freight from Germany
Germany is a global freight hub, with a vast majority of the global freight forwarders based out of the DACH region. Easy land access to Western Europe, a world-famous highway system, maritime access to North America and a vibrant air hub, combines with Europe’s most industries export industry to create a major global freight player. Germany also consistently ranks at the top of the World Bank’s Logistics Performance review. It’s no coincidence that Kuehne + Nagel, DB Schenker, DHL and Hellmann all based their global freight operations out of Germany, nor that the German logistics industry has revenue of over 235 million EUR annually.
For more information on importing from Germany refer to a real time, international freight index for prices and trends from the world’s largest freight rate database.
Top German Export Commodities
|Phone system devices||$19.9 billion|
|Integrated circuits/microassemblies||$13.4 billion|
|Insulated wire/cable||$9.5 billion|
|Lower-voltage switches, fuses||$6.8 billion|
|TV receivers/monitors/projectors||$6 billion|
German Import Trends
Ocean Exports from Germany to China
Ocean Exports from China to Germany
Compare, book and manage international freight shipments on the freight marketplace.
List of Import/Export Ports in Germany
|Port||UN Port Code|
|Port of Hamburg||DE HAM|
|Port of Bremen||DE BRE|
|Port of Bremerhaven||DE BRV|
|Port of Brunsbuttel||DE BRB|
|Port of Duisburg||DE DUI|
|Port of Emden||DE EME|
|Port of Frankfurt||DE FRA|
|Port of Kiel||DE KEL|
|Port of Lubeck||DE LBC|
Import Taxes From Germany
- As an European Union country, importing from Germany to another EU country does not require import taxes. However, if you’re importing to somewhere out of the EU, like the United States, taxes will apply.
- Import tax compliance responsibility is ultimately on the importing party to be sure to do your due diligence (or have your customs broker/freight forwarder do it on your behalf).
- Non-EU citizens arriving by sea or air may bring in a total of €430 worth of goods.
- once you have exceeded the duty-free limit, you will be required to pay sales tax (VAT) of 19 percent in addition to varying customs fee on the value of the item.
- Germany tax treaty documents government files.
- More information on duties and taxes in Germany.
- For freight rate calculations from Germany to your location, check out our freight rate calculator.