Ocean rates – Freightos Baltic Index
- Asia-US West Coast prices (FBX01 Weekly) decreased 5% to $1,687/FEU.
- Asia-US East Coast prices (FBX03 Weekly) decreased 8% to $2,434/FEU.
- Asia-N. Europe prices (FBX11 Weekly) ticked up 2% to $1,020/FEU.
- Asia-Mediterranean prices (FBX13 Weekly) fell 9% to $1,587/FEU.
Air rates – Freightos Air Index
- China – N. America weekly prices increased 8% to $4.75/kg
- China – N. Europe weekly prices increased 6% to $3.94/kg.
- NN. Europe – N. America weekly prices were level at $1.67/kg.
Dive deeper into freight data that matters
Stay in the know in the now with instant freight data reporting
Ocean spot rates fell nearly across the board last week on a mix of a Golden Week lull, a more general easing of volumes, and persistent capacity growth.
Asia – N. Europe rates were below $900/FEU as of yesterday, despite indications of a gradual improvement in volumes on this lane. Some carriers have already announced November rate increases aimed at pushing these rates back up to profitable levels. Asia – Mediterranean prices are below $1,500/FEU so far this week, their lowest level since 2019.
Asia to N. America East Coast prices fell 8% last week and continued their slide so far this week with daily rates at $2,249/FEU, 18% lower than in 2019 and their lowest level since mid-2018.
Transpacific rates to the West Coast fell last week as well, and slipped below $1,500/FEU as of yesterday. Nonetheless, this is the only major lane with prices still above 2019 levels and that have retained some of the summer GRI-driven gains, with prices still 13% higher than in mid-July.
There were more reports of upticks in ex-Asia air cargo demand the last few weeks, and Freightos Air Index data saw China – N. America rates increase 8% last week to $4.75/kg, and Asia – N. Europe prices climb 6% to $3.94/kg. Despite this recent trend, many in the industry remain pessimistic that a significant air cargo peak season will materialize this year.
Freight news travels faster than cargo
Get industry-leading insights in your inbox.